Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dear Joanna Brooks

After watching Mormon in America, on Rock Center the other night, and reading the feminist's blog post defending herself, I couldn't believe what I was reading. I had a lot of thoughts, and I put a few on paper. Here is how I responded to her (I doubt it'll be posted in her comments, but maybe she'll surprise me.)

Dear Joanna Brooks (askmormongirl.com),

 I have read your recent blog post, and I have thought about what you said for the last hour or two. I am a woman. I am LDS. I am not a "feminist" but I firmly believe that men and women are equals. Elder James E. Talmage of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles said, "The world's greatest champion of woman and womanhood is Jesus the Christ." (Jesus the Christ, 3rd ed. (1916), 475.)

I believe that. I also believe that Jesus Christ is the leader of our church. And I believe that President Monson is his chosen Prophet today. I have a testimony of that. It is vital to have a testimony of the Prophet, because either this church is the true church or it isn't and if it is true (which I believe that it is) that means that the Lord is directing this church through His Prophet. 

So tell me how the Lord can be the "champion of womanhood," yet at the same time deprive woman of their full potential in His church?

Sometimes the Lord requires us to do things that don't align with what the world (or even some of us Mormons) see's as acceptable or even fair. For example, Joseph Smith Jr. was "reluctant to engage in this new practice" of plural marriage. But he did what the Lord asked even when it was hard. This life and His church are not about us, it's about doing what the Lord has asked and doing it in the way He has asked us to do it. We don't see the big picture, but Christ does. So in the end It's not about what you or I want. It's about doing what the Lord has asked us to do, it's about building His Kingdom on the earth and bringing Salvation to the people of the world.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Isn't it great that everyone can have their own opinion of this topic and still be members of this church? I love that Ms. Brooks has such strong feelings and still believes. It makes it easier for those of us that "think" differently and might fall away.

I think your strong testimony is fantastic and just because someone doesn't see it the same doesn't mean their opinions and experiences don't matter.

Anyway, great post!

Shanna said...

i love this alisha!! i feel as strongly as you do on this topic. and good for you for voicing it. the world needs more people like you in it!

Jessi said...

amen.